Happy World Nutella Day ’09!!

by Jessica on February 5, 2009

Nutella Palmiers

Two years ago, Nutella received it’s own holiday… and this year, the tradition continues. Sara of Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle of Bleeding Espresso solemnly declare Thursday, February 5th “World Nutella Day 2009″ – a day to celebrate, to get creative with, and most importantly, to EAT Nutella!

World Nutella Day 2009

Being 1/4 German, I’ve visited Deutschland countless times. And during those countless times, I never tasted Nutella. Blasphemy, you say? I know, I know… forgive me. Since the time it was shown to me (thanks, A!), I’ve made up for it. Believe me… my jeans will vouch for me.

Nutella Palmiers 2

So… as soon as I found out that February 5 was “World Nutella Day”, I immediately began searching for something to make. And after digging through the cakes and breads and ice creams, I found these Palmiers. The recipe had no source, so forgive me if I’ve forgotten to give credit where it’s due. Just know that they are so sinfully yummy, that I’ve already eaten four and it’s not even lunch time. Yep, I eat dessert first… I’m ‘that’ girl. ;)

Nutella Palmiers 3

Nutella Palmiers

13 oz Puff Pastry, thawed
8 tbsp Nutella spread
1/2 c toasted hazelnuts, chopped
5 tsp granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line the sheet with a Silpat silicone baking mat.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a rectangular shape (approximately 15 x 9 inches in size). Spread the Nutella evenly over the puff pastry, then sprinkle the nuts over the top. Roll both long ends so that they meet at the center of the dough. Where the pieces meet, dampen the edges with a little water to join them together. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into thin slices. Place on the prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a spatula. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with the sugar, then bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden. When done, transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.

Nutella Palmiers 4

Thanks, ladies, for declaring February 5 such a yummy day!! :)

1 Kayla February 5, 2009 at 8:48 am

omg, yummy!

2 Joelen February 5, 2009 at 9:12 am

What a fabulous way to use nutella!!

3 Kristen February 5, 2009 at 11:09 am

Oh my gosh those look AMAZING.

4 Amy (Sing for your supper) February 5, 2009 at 11:53 am

Mmmm, yummy! I’m about to post our Macarons!

5 pinkstripes February 5, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Oh yum. Those look great!

6 joanne at frutto della passione February 9, 2009 at 10:04 am

These look great. Can’t wait to try them at my house!

7 Katie February 9, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Oh yummy! They look fantastic! I’d love one of those with a cuppa right now!

Katie xox

8 Kayte February 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I am pretty sure that all the Nutella lovers I know (and there are many, let me tell you!), would love your recipe. I am also dead certain that my guys would love them…maybe Valentine’s Day should include a little plate of these very indulgences! Thanks for sharing your ideas…yours look great!

9 Charlene Charette November 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I’ve finally gotten these in the oven for a party tonight. I had a horrible time spreading the Nutella on the puff pastry. It kept sticking to the spatula and pulling away from the pastry. It took forever and distorted my nice rectangle. I tried both metal and silicone spatulas. Is there some trick to doing this more easily?

10 Jessica November 28, 2012 at 5:32 pm

So sorry to hear this, Charlene! Try warming the Nutella in the microwave in 20-second bursts, keeping an eye on it the entire time. You want a spreadable consistency, but not so liquid you can drizzle it on. Hope this works!

11 Charlene Charette December 5, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Even though the Nutella was uncooperative, these were mighty tasty. I have more puff pastry in the freezer and plan to make them again for New Years. A friend suggested wetting the back of a spoon to spread the Nutella (she does this with marshmallow creme). I’ll try both methods and report back.

12 Charlene December 31, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Results of the Nutella Palmiers experiment: The wet-spoon method didn’t work so well. Warming the Nutella worked fine. After spreading the Nutella, you need to let it sit for a few minutes to solidify before you can roll and cut. I heated the Nutella a bit too long so; by the time I tried to roll, the dough had warmed and gotten sticky. Less frustrating to work with than the room-temp Nutella, though.