Dorie's Perfect Party Cake

by Jessica on August 30, 2008

Party Cake 2

This week, I was asked by my dad’s secretary to decorate a cake for a church dinner that she was helping to host. I immediately said yes, and then began my usual stress-induced thought process: “What kind of cake am I going to make?, How am I going to decorate it?, Will she like it?, How much do I charge her?, Will it taste okay?, Can I finish it in time?” Eeek!!

Party Cake

I always say yes, then bear the headaches (literally) that come along with any project. This is my norm… it’s how I operate. 🙂 Moving on. I decided to go with Dorie’s Perfect Party Cake. We haven’t made it for TWD yet, but I knew that it would be a great cake recipe. However, the decorations I chose leave little to be desired. I’m not upset with it, but I’m definitely not excited about it either! It could be that I just haven’t had that much practice… it has been 4 or 5 months since my Wilton class!! Hopefully, it will survive it’s trek to the church tonight and I get a good review of the taste… I’ll update when I hear!

UPDATE: She and her family loved it!! 🙂 However, she said that she couldn’t place the lemon flavoring in the cake… what with zest and extract, I’m confused!! Guess I have to make it again and try it myself… darnit!!

Party Cake 3

Perfect Party Cake (pg 250-52)
Source: Baking – From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1 Nicole August 30, 2008 at 4:57 pm

I think your flowers look GREAT!

2 BMK August 31, 2008 at 7:00 am

Your cake is beautiful! I’m sure everyone will love it. Can’t wait for your review of the cake recipe. I’ve been thinking of trying Dorie’s recipe for a project.

3 Melissa August 31, 2008 at 8:54 am

I think your cake came out great! I am sure it will be a hit. Plus you picked a delicious cake to make, I love Dorie’s Perfect Party cake!

4 Amy (Sing for your supper) August 31, 2008 at 10:28 am

It looks awesome! Soooooo much better than ANYTHING I could’ve done! You should be proud – your first pro cake job! 🙂

5 Megan August 31, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Well, I think the cake looks awesome! You did an amazing job and anyone would be thrilled to receive that.

My daughter and I just finished Fondant and Gumpaste – and you’re giving me inspiration to go on to Course 3! Love the basketweave!!

6 katie102006 September 2, 2008 at 6:33 am

It looks so GREAT! Your roses look awesome and I LOVE the bright colors!!

7 anamika: the sugarcrafter September 11, 2008 at 12:34 am

Nice work !

8 Barbara September 13, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Wow! I’d be so thrilled to get a cake that looked that great and was made from a recipe that actually tastes good — not the horrible stuff you get from the supermarket! Good for you!